Friday, August 16, 2013

Seeing Jesus in a Bug's Life

enjoying the view from the Castlewood State Park
Kim and I slipped away for a little hike at a state park in St. Louis last week and we were treated to a few close encounters of some of creation's finest: a deer, a hummingbird and a large beetle. A large beetle you say? Yes, that was the most beautiful sight to me. In order to understand you'll have to watch the video below and read on.

Something sideswiped this little guy and when we found him he was lying flat on his back - all six of his little black legs helplessly swiping air as he desperately tried to get back on his feet again. He looked pretty vulnerable and pathetic as it was obvious there was no way he was going to resume his life without some supernatural intervention.


Enter me and my stick. It didn't take long for me to turn him over but I wonder how long it took him to realize how weak he was and that he needed help.

Sometimes the greatest gift in getting sideswiped in life and finding ourselves flat on our backs is coming to the golden realization of how weak we truly are and how strong He is. It's a simple truth many of us learned to sing at a young age "...they are weak but He is strong..." but it often takes a lifetime to truly learn and when you do learn it you can say with all sincerity, "Yes, Jesus loves me." without really understanding why.

Joni Eareckson Tada once said, "The harder life becomes the more I lean on God and the more I lean on God....the stronger I discover Him to be." Amen. Is this not the great reward of the hardships we endure in life? Discovering how weak we are but in turn - how strong He is? You cannot understand the gospel of grace until you've found yourself in a place so low that you are forced to look up.

I write all of this because reflecting upon this past year I've realized that I've spent most of it on my back. Hopeless, helpless and desperately trying to get back on my feet on my own strength - even after Kim's remission. How pathetic I must have looked. I closed myself off from the world save but a few incredibly faithful friends (love you!) battling my own version of a mid-life crisis. Too proud to publicize my struggles and too stubborn to change. But I now realize the greatest joy does not come from overcoming the obstacle or enduring the hardship - but seeing Jesus who is "mighty to save" at the end of it all (Zeph 3:17).  The revelation is the reward. When the three Hebrew boys were thrown into the fiery furnace the greatest reward was not avoiding death but seeing Life - Jesus in their very presence.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. -Isaiah 43:2
I also write this because Kim met someone for the first time today named Monica who was registering her kids for school and I'm humbly asking for your prayers. Monica is a pastor's wife and was happy to meet Kim in person because apparently she had followed this blog as she battled thyroid cancer last year and prayed for us even though she never met us. Well, Monica just recently found out that she has Stage IV breast cancer which has spread to her liver and spine and she told Kim she is beginning treatment tomorrow. Please lift her up if you would. Monica is on her back and she and her family could use some help. Pray for God's healing hand and pray that she would discover the strength of God in her greatest moments of weakness for when we are weak...He is strong.

In the strong name of Jesus.

Peter & Kim

p.s. in case you're wondering due to the long overdue update Kim and the kids are doing great. Apologies for my long writing sabbatical.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Pastor Peter Cho for giving us an update! I'm praying for Monica! Praying for you guys too! :)Kim looks beautiful and your kids!! Thank you for sharing your heart with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, amen and amen! Thanks for sharing what the Lord revealed to you, as well as the delightful pictures! I never realized until now how much your #1 looks like Kim! Love it!

    Monica, praying for you and your family that the peace of God which transcends ALL understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus! May the joy of the Lord be your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter, I enjoyed your sermon based on your real experience of last few years. I am so happy for you that you could witnessing our Lord through your real life experience with him and your family.
    I am sorry about Monica. I will pray for that she will be walk through our God with her treatment. Thanks again for your witnessing. Geyoul Park Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you are writing again! It has been such a blessing to read this blog. This is Monica! It was such a blessing to meet Kim in person. So blessed to be brought together with someone who is going on a similar journey.

    One correction to what you wrote is that I was diagnosed with breast cancer (stage 4) at the same time as my thyroid cancer. It has stayed in my spine without spreading for over 2 years. Unfortunately, I found out about it spreading to my liver last month.

    Recently, I started oral chemo and have been so encouraged by what Kim endured. Knowing that she endured so much helps me to face the daily trials of chemo. Jesus knew that I needed that type of encouragement and He enabled Kim and I to cross paths! God is so good! He knows what we need!

    I like the bug illustration. I can totally relate. Almost cried watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for calling out the prayer warriors to pray for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you Monica. May d peace of God dt trancends all understanding guard ur heart n mind in Him. May the Holy Spirit living inside your earthly body melts all the cancer cells n regenerate new n healthy ones. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete