Monday, May 7, 2012

Seeing Jesus in Our Brokenness

KIM UPDATE: Well, it's been a rough week since Kim finished her last treatment of chemo. The cumulative effect of all these powerful drugs has taken a toll on the body and Kim has not bounced back as quickly as in previous rounds. In fact, last Thursday night we had to make another trip to the ER because Kim was cycling through some intense stomach pain. Things are slowly improving and day by day she's getting a little stronger but even walking up the stairs has been a challenge. We're so thankful this was the last of it because it's hard to imagine going through another round. Thanks for your prayers.

ANDREW & CONNOR UPDATE: Despite the glow of finding bone marrow matches for Andrew and Connor the reality is that they both still have a long road ahead of them and they would be grateful for your prayers. This was unthinkable just two months ago, but as it stands today both Andrew and Connor will be getting their transplants within one day of each other (Andrew on May 16th and Connor on May 17th). That said, there is a lot that goes into getting their bodies ready for the actual transplant and so the pre-transplant process begins now. Connor is getting his first treatment of chemo today and tomorrow and Andrew will be getting radiation twice a day for the next four days starting tomorrow. This will be an intense and trying week for both families as their boys will be enduring quite a bit. Please lift them up and pray that they sense the nearness of the Lord through it all. For more details on Andrew please visit Joe's blog HERE for more details on Connor please visit his blog HERE. Thanks!
Short post today. I leave you with one of the most moving videos I've ever seen (hard to believe it's a commercial). I think the reason why it resonates so deeply is because it captures the essence of the gospel. Good triumphing over evil. Beauty rising from ashes. Faith overcoming unbelief. Seeing the unseen...not with our eyes...but with our hearts. We are all longing for a profound redemption from our brokenness....we are all longing for Jesus.

"...blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." -John 20:29b

In His Grace,

Peter & Kim


  1. Dear Peter and Kim,

    We have never met, but I have just recently learned of your family and your story while browsing through a friend's, Esther Shin, Facebook page.

    Two years ago, my three-year-old niece, Kaitlyn, was diagnosed with Stage IV neuroblastoma. There was a tumor size of a softball in her abdomen which 95% of it was removed through surgery (the other 5% was surrounding her spinal nerve, so it was too risky to attempt to remove it in surgery). She went through multiple rounds of chemotherapy as well as radiation therapy. Radiation therapy revealed she had cancer cells in her skull, the bones in one of her arms and legs, and a bit in her bone marrow. It was utter horror for our family, and especially Kaitlyn's parents (my older brother and sister-in-law), to watch a loved one go through so much. All we did was hang-on to God. Unbeknownst to us, God was already working in His ways. Today, she is growing like a normal five-year-old. Praise the Lord!

    I just wanted to send a word of encouragement, to let you know I am praying for your beautiful family from California, and staying updated through your blog.

    Stay strong in the Lord!

    "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)

    In His grace,

    Anne Shin Lee

    1. Thanks for your kind words and for your prayers from CA Anne. Blessings to you and yours. -Peter & Kim

  2. Hello brother Peter,

    We have never met, but stumbling on your blog has been one of the most spiritually encouraging moments in my life. I wanted to encourage you to never forget His faithfulness. "I remember your faithfulness to Noah, I remember your faithfulness to Moses, I remember your faithfulness to David, I remember your faithfulness to me (You have never left me)..."

    Listen to this song whenever you get a chance. Praying for you and your family. Thank you for all the encouragement.

    1. Thanks brother for your prayers and for the song. Good stuff. -Peter & Kim